Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Educational Discussions: I Am Naïve


I am naïve! I have been in education for 24 years. I still believe all children can learn, and all children can grow their achievement by 1 grade level each school year.

I am naïve! I believe that the first teacher, the best teacher, the single greatest indicator of academic achievement is the parent.

I am naïve! I believe that instruction matters. Traditional low level instruction will result in traditional low level results. We do NOT need to cover material. We need to explore/inquire/discover the content.

I am naïve! I believe in the “Statue of Liberty kids.” Give me your poor and your huddled masses longing to be free.

I am naïve! I believe in the Jeffersonian principal that a free public education ensures the prosperity

I am naïve! I believe we need to know our students’ readiness levels, interest inventories, and learning profiles as described by Carol Ann Tomlinson.

I am naïve! Words matter. I believe that Webb’s Depth of Knowledge can be a guiding force to challenge our students to think critically.

I am naïve! I believe that Daggett’s Rigor and Relevance Frame can lead to students analyzing real-world problems and creating real-world solutions across disciplines.

I am naïve! I believe that if students explore Big Ideas by answering essential questions through authentic assessments that they will have a rich understanding of content just as Jay McTighe described.


I am naïve! I believe that America, unlike the rest of the western world, should continue to educate everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment